Friday, February 8, 2008

Phantom of the Opera...

2.8.08..Lalala..Yes, I've been singing the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack all day. I visited the Opera House today, which is exquisite beyond reason! The grand staircases and chandeliers are so elegant. The theater is completely covered in red velvet wherever there is fabric and all the wood is dark. Nowadays, they hold mostly ballets, but many many famous operas and musicals have taken place on that stage. In the guide I read as I was exploring, it said there is even a little lake underneath the Opera House, just like there is in the movie! Unfortunately, that part wasn't open to just the average zoobie student. I guess I'll have to wait until I make my millions before I get access to it.
Before coming home, I passed the square dedicated to Jeanne d'arc (Joan of Arc). There is a right winged political party who uses her as their icon, and most of their protests take place in this square. I took a detour past the Ritz Hotel where Princess Diana had left shortly before her death. The sun shone the whole day; I was lucky for the very pleasant weather!
This morning, I spent the morning in a little town called Saint Germain en Laye. It is definitely a place I could settle down for life in. There is an enormous park that overlooks most of Paris, beautiful churches standing on the corners, and dozens of little shops, all unique in styles. It is a town I hope to revisit several times during my stay here!

No comments: