Sunday, March 9, 2008

Bordeaux: Amis, Arias, Amazing

3.9.08...Bonjour! I spent a superb weekend in Bordeaux! Arriving Thursday evening, I wanted to jump off the tram at every neat sight on the route to the Defranchi home. It was a pleasure to finally meet them! Marina and Sylvia treated me just like a sister and Alexis and Catherine couldn’t have been more hospitable! Friday morning Sylvia gave me the grand tour of Bordeaux! The cathedral Pay Berland, the Rue Saint Catherine, the best shops and treats, we even stopped at the town fair and rode one free fall attraction. Inevitably, I took a picture on the ‘tourist tortoise.’ We ate an Arab kebab in the center of town. Ensuite, the evening was an absolute delight-Alexis asked permission of the director of the opera for me to watch the dress rehearsal of the Faust opera that begins next week! It is rare that the public is allowed, but I was privileged to see the first half with the full orchestra…there are not words enough to describe! It was unbelievable! The voices were more powerful than any I’d ever heard; intense enough to bring tears to the toughest of souls. It was so moving, I was sad to leave. But, the next morning, Alexis sang the aria Turandot by Puccini for me! Saturday afternoon, my friend Romy invited me over, and cooked me a yummy fish lunch. We then waltzed all through the streets of Bordeaux. The shops ranged from Chinese knockoffs to Hermes there is a fee just to enter the store! I especially loved the dress shops and ‘habitat’ - the Pottery Barn of France. She had me taste cannelĂ© a specialty cinnamon tasting bread of Bordeaux. En plus, gave me a darling pair of earrings to remind me of the city. The trip passed quickly but was well worth it! I am now back in Paris and this week will be traveling to Normandy and the Loire Valley. Bonsoir…

2 comments:

Annette said...

hey sis,
I love those dresses. They are so pretty. I am can't wait to talk to you soon. Love you.

hilly

annette said...

I can't believe all of the fabulous trips you are getting in over there. Everything you are doing is so incredibly cool! Take care. Love Nettie