Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Mom's first day in France

First morning in Paris: I showed mom around the Julienne’s house then couldn’t wait to take her through the neighborhood and through Croissy-Sur-Seine, my town. I showed her all the features that make my neighborhood so neat. Houses’ worth isn’t measured by size, the age and amount of restoration is what makes a home remarkable. Lilacs were in bloom everywhere on my street, Avenue des Tilleuls. Croissy only has one central street of shops and holds the old French tradition of separating: a butcher for the meat, a market for the fruit, a bakery for the bread, etc…I took mom to the bakery to taste her first French tart and we sat in the town square while I told her where I shopped. We hopped on the metro and I had mom take a picture of me here since I’ve probably hopped on at this station over a hundred times. Mom saw the musicians who play for money and how the French don’t talk on the trains; however, I couldn’t help myself-I just wanted to tell her everything! We got off near the Eiffel Tower and walked up the Champs de Mars (Fields of March) toward the tower, passing the ‘peace’ war monument with ‘peace’ written in all of the world’s languages. Next, I took mom through the Tuileries Gardens and on to Angelina’s-the best place in Paris to drink hot chocolate. It’s very expensive, but entirely worth it. I’ve never tasted anything like it. Mom decided we should treat ourselves to one fancy meal each day so we started there. The food was good, but I think our favorite was at La Durée, which we’ll get to toward the end of our trip. We spent the rest of the day exploring the city, and since I had always been alone in Paris before, I hadn’t spent much time at night in the city, so it was fun to see everything lit up with mom. We passed L’Hotel de Ville, the city hall, the Pompidou museum and the modern art fountains shown in the movie Sabrina, then onto the institute, and finished by eating another Greek sandwich next to the river with our shoes off. It is so true that Paris is perfect when you have someone to share it with.

1 comment:

steph said...

Love reading this and seeing the beautiful pictures!!