Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Saint Paul de Vence..Hidden Paradise

Continuing our stay in the south, we spent half a day in a village on a hill that was once a fortress. Today, it’s called St. Paul de Vence. I wished terribly we could have spent more time here; it was a quaint provincial French village with tiny cobblestone streets, church bells chiming on the hill, and foliage growing everywhere. The shops were built like cellars and when I stepped down, there were incredible works of art, or walls filled with herbs, or blown glass and pressed flowers…St. Paul de Vence is the ultimate secret of the south.
While exploring these shops, I found an independent artist’s workshop- his name was Jean Francois Gaulthier and his paintings were scenes of dancers. Next I stumbled onto an entire shop dedicated to Gustav Klimt, my favorite artist! There were enormous vases with his paintings painted on them, floor coverings and tapestries of his art..It’s a good thing I didn’t have enough money or I would have bought the shop on the spot.

1 comment:

Casey and Allie said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…I LOVE little towns like this. Wow, this is just gorgeous. Isn't it so fun discovering the little treasures of places. Treasures, to me, are not only unique places, but those interesting people that you meet randomly and they change your life. You know? There are some REALLY interesting people in this world…people who aren't famous at all but have amazing stories to share.