Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday Monday..

The days here keep getting better and better. Work went quickly and well today! I had my first student come in to ask about setting up an appointment to have an English interview with me. I’m learning the ropes fairly quickly and I thoroughly enjoy talking with the professors and employees! They are all very intelligent and kind, I am constantly impressed. Most seem to like having me around, a few I’m still trying to have a good attitude about.
Today I saw a girl with those arm crutches, I’m not sure of their technical name, and it made me so grateful I am here with no health problems like Kami is. I have no food allergies, I can walk for miles, I have no anxiety problems, change doesn’t bother me and I adjust well…I am so lucky.
The subject of religion came up today, which it rarely does seeing as people don’t feel comfortable discussing it. But, during lunch I heard one of the professors whisper, “Is she a Mormon like last year’s intern?” Following that, Angelique and I were walking down the hall on a break and she asked me if our cult (in French “cult” isn’t pejorative, but that had to be cleared up J) practiced polygamy because she’d seen a television series about it. I said I was glad she asked since that was a totally distorted representation of our church. I told her it was created by ex-members and anti-Mormons and there many falsities in it. Also, I explained that at one point the church did practice it, but that time is long gone, and those who still do are not part of our church. She wondered how long they practiced it and I was so bugged with myself for not knowing. I’m sure that was something I learned in seminary. Then she asked if our priests are married and I said yes and she said that she thought that was a good idea, then they understand how life really is. Though she herself doesn’t believe in marriage. I told her my dad had been a bishop and she thought it was a good idea that they gave marital advice and things. She had gotten the idea that only parents pay tithing so I clarified that anyone who earns money pays it. Even as kids we pay it on allowance and babysitting money. She thought that was ingenious to instill it in us as children. :) She asked if we believe in divorce and I thought that was a funny question; I said we don’t like it but it yes, that it sometimes happens. However, I added that the rate is much lower in the church than in the US in general (I hope that statistic is still true! :) Well, we chatted a little more and then there was an awkward pause and I told her that BYU instructs us to be careful while discussing religion because our purpose there is not to preach. We can answer questions, but they have had problems in the past with students offending others and coming on too strong with religion. So, I said that I was happy to talk about it but didn’t want to offend her so if I said anything that upset her, to please let me know. She said that there were others that wouldn’t like to discuss religion but that she doesn’t mind. So after the long and the short of it, I hope the subject comes up again and we’re able to talk more concerning my church. Angelique said that Garrett, the intern from last year, rarely spoke about religion so she wondered if we are all equally practicing or if some are more than others, like the Catholics. Haha, that was a hard one to answer, I told her he was probably being careful like we’re instructed to do.
On a totally different note, I have had some good news, that my good friend Scott is engaged! Off I go to family home evening with the ward! What a wonderful thing that the church is everywhere…

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Haleigh, It is so fun to read your blog. I am totally living vicariously though you. EUROPE!!! I want so desperatly to visit there. I have let go of the dream of living there... for now, I just want to visit someday:)
Have fun, keep up with the posts!

annette said...

Haleigh...Interesting blog today. Your influence there will be far reaching I am sure. Example speaks louder than words and day of the week. Have fun!