Saturday, March 29, 2008

Le Misanthrope at La Comedie Francaise!

Scurrying around this morning, a bustling Saturday, I first stopped at a wedding exposition with my friend Elizabeth, who is getting married this summer. She tried on one wedding dress, then we decided the shop was getting too busy, so we went to the Bastille to walk down by the Saint Martin canal, little did we know there was rioting going on in the square. It was some sort of “speaking out against aids and poverty” movement...thank heavens for free speech I suppose is what I should say. Then, the best part of the week, we were able to attend Le Misanthrope at La Comédie Française! The most well known theater in France, and where the very greatest playwrights and actors performed. The acting was unlike any other: I’ve never seen such passion in the pleading, grimacing, protesting, and even just the regular dialogue. Three hours of intensity, it was truly professional. This is said to be the very best of Moliere’s plays, according to himself and critics, yet I still prefer L’école des Femmes. It could be due to the fact that this is his only tragedy, the rest are comedies. Anyhow, it was a once in a lifetime experience. Luckily, there was one extra ticket, so Madame Welch allowed my friend Orélly from the ward to join us. I then visited the Arc du Triomphe along with every other weekend tourist or couple :) haha. Still neat to look at though, maybe I should have coughed up the five euros to go to the top, who knows. Well, since by that point I can’t remember the last time I had real protein, I stopped at an Algerian restaurant in my town to get…honestly, I won’t even try to guess..It was some sort of wrap concoction with about 12 things mixed in, and delicious. My books are sending me guilty vibes so I’d better get to them. A demain..

No comments: