Friday, June 19, 2009

Working alongside Aliocha Wald Lasowski!

Un grand bonjour. It has been an eventful week this week-Wednesday I went to Paris since I had been given tickets to Euro Disney. I had a blast but I wouldn’t really consider that worthy of my blog so I’ll move on. Earlier this week, a professor here in Lille that I’ve gotten to know, approached me. His name is Aliocha Wald Lasowski and is a very well respected author and philosopher, among other things. (See photo, however he looks older in reality) He had recently had an interview with Julie Butler, a professor from Berkeley, and to be kind had told her to answer his questions in the language she felt most comfortable in; thus, she chose to respond to the majority in English. Aliocha has read her books and wishes to include her thoughts in his own upcoming publication however he had a hard time understanding her so we set to work dissecting the interview. I must admit, this woman is obviously an intellectual and speaks with a vocabulary to be praised. To make matters worse there was a lot of background noise in the recording. Aliocha and I must have spent at least eight hours this week listening, rewinding, listening, notating, and listening again to what Ms Butler said, and today we finally came up with a final product that he will now attempt to reduce and incorporate into his work. Aliocha is such a well respected intellectual and philosophical professor in France that I consider it an honor to assist him in his work. I learned a lot by simply listening to him. As a gesture of thanks today, he brought me a copy of his most recently published book Commente l’enfance d’un chef de Jean-Paul Sartre with a kind note written inside.

2 comments:

Annette said...

Wow Hayz is all I can say!!

steph said...

How exciting! You will probably never forget these wonderful people that you meet.