Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bruxelles! Brussels!

Yesterday I spent an awesome day in Brussels, Belgium! I can’t believe it’s only a 30 minute train ride and this is the first time I’ve been up there. Once I arrived, I found the metro and took it to a beautiful street called Avenue Louise. The first shop in front of me when I came up the elevator was Tiffany and Co. which proves the street is classy. I met up with five American interns there and toured around the city with them all day. We started at the Notre Dame de la Chapelle, a beautiful cathedral in the center of town. We then headed to get a chocolate while walking through the outdoor flea market. Next, we stopped in the “Grand Place” which is considered to be the most beautiful town square in Europe. I must agree; it was stunning! The town hall was a very ornate building and has a tragic past: In this era, the mark of a great building was symmetry. After construction was finished on this structure, the architect was horrified to find that one end was much longer than the other so he climbed up the bell tower and jumped to his death. Next we ate a delicious Belgian waffle; definitely not overrated! The picture of me and another girl Stephanie is us touching a famous tomb; if you rub her tomb and make a wish it’s sure to come true! I would have loved to tour through the royal palace – but unfortunately I only had time to stand outside it. Well, I have much more to say but am too tired…haha




2 comments:

steph said...

How interesting! It looks so fun and the food looks so yummy. Your hair is so long!

annette said...

Wow what a fun day. We drove through Belgium but didn't have time to stop. Isn't that a shame. I would love to go back. Nettie