Friday, July 17, 2009

Wednesday/Thursday this week

Wednesday was a busy day at work-I worked on an editing project for Professor Vaillant; the topic was on the commercial statistics of cigar consumption-not really my specialty but it was fun to read through and edit it. After work I went to Justine’s home again where her family, Marie, and I had an English lesson for a couple of hours! They were great pupils and spoke as much as they dared. I taught them the song Amazing Grace in harmony and they were so thrilled they wanted to sing it over and over! We must have done it at least a dozen times! I made a little video-I wish I hadn’t been singing though so you could hear more of them rather than me, but it was fun! They concentrated so hard on the words! We then went over lots of sentences with ‘th’ words in them since it’s a hard sound for the French to pronounce. Example: Theodore’s thigh hurts for the third time this week. We played a few games and learned a lot of vocabulary; I was pleased with how things turned out. Last night I was invited to dine with Marie Laure Bourg, a professor here, and her husband RĂ©mi. They made a typically Alsatian meal (Alsace is a French town near Germany and in the Strasbourg region I believe, and they speak a language that is neither French nor German). I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Marie Laure and her husband and in typical French style, we stayed 3 hours at the table. She remembered my interest in the French culinary art and kindly offered me a set of dishtowels for my new apartment!

1 comment:

Annette said...

Haleigh~ That is so fun to listen to all of you sing! They did very well singing it in English! Most of all I love to hear your voice! I wish I could carry a tune like you can-I'd become a professional singer if I could!! :-) Spoken like a proud Mother! I Love U!