Wednesday, February 27, 2008

School & Sights

2.27.08...I’m slacking on taking pictures because I don’t feel like a tourist, I feel like a local. But I’m going to regret it if I don’t document things, so today I tried to step it up. This morning I did the walk to the Pantheon and Arènes de Lutèce. The pillars are enormous on the Pantheon (Left). The great men of France are interred there including Voltaire, Hugo, Zola, Rousseau, even Marie Curie. Passing the College of France and various fine arts schools, I still think that the Sorbonne has the most stunning structure and campus (Photo), which just add to its reputation. In the quartier (Right), there were some apartments I’d move into without hesitation. (Left Below). Next I walked to the Arenas of Lutetia which were uncovered in the 1800s but were originally build in 200 AD to hold Human-Vs-Animal Combats for audiences of about 15,000. I could still see the cages underneath where they kept the lions, but now they’re filled with folding chairs. By about 1:00 I decided I hadn’t had quite enough of the city, so I decided it was the perfect time to hike up the Eiffel Tower. 650 stairs or so later, here was the view (Photo). I admit with hesitation though, as iconic as this monument is, I think I preferred the view from the bell tower of Notre Dame de Paris. My neighbors seem to be warming up to me a little bit; the gardeners and regular dog walkers are beginning to give me acknowledging nods and occasionally even small smiles. It means more when it’s so rare. They say in France that it takes a long time to make a true friend but once one does, he or she is a friend for life. A demain…

No comments: