Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fausta

The movie I saw tonight with Didier, Marie, and Jacqueline (Didier’s mother) was a Peruvian production called Fausta -- in Spanish with French subtitles. It definitely wasn't a comedy-- the tragic lifestyle in Peru is hard to watch; however, I am glad I saw it. The main character, Fausta, is in search for a way to bury her mother but she cannot afford a casket. She takes on extra work but then is later cheated out of her pay. She lives in constant fear, as her mother did, due to the violent way the women are treated in the villages outside Lima. There is the most beautiful piano song called Cyrene that I wish I could find but it is nowhere on the internet. The principal actress played her role well as a virtually silent, scarred, tender and beautiful young woman. This film won the Golden Bear prize in Berlin this year which is a big deal. The title in English is The Milk of Sorrow.

No comments: